The world of cosmetics is ever-evolving, with new brands emerging and captivating consumers’ attention. Among the many countries that have made their mark in the beauty industry, the Philippines is the third-largest market in Asia for beauty products.
From innovative products to a focus on diversity and inclusivity, Filipino cosmetic brands have carved a niche for themselves in the global market.
In this blog post, we will explore three top Filipino cosmetic brands that have gained popularity and discuss three essential strategies that every beauty brand must adopt to achieve success.
3 Top Filipino Cosmetic Brands
In 2021, the Philippine beauty industry was valued at $1.5 billion and is expected to grow to $2.5 billion by 2025.
A number of Filipino cosmetic brands have emerged in recent years and are gaining popularity both domestically and internationally.
Some of these Filipino cosmetic brands are:
Happy Skin is a beloved Filipino cosmetic brand known for its high-quality products and whimsical packaging.
Founded by Jacqueline Yuengtian-Gutierrez and Rissa Mananquil-Trillo, the brand aims to create makeup that enhances natural beauty and celebrates individuality.
Happy Skin’s commitment to using skin-friendly ingredients and catering to diverse skin tones has endeared it to consumers. From their cult-favorite lipsticks to their nourishing skincare line, Happy Skin offers a wide range of products that cater to various beauty needs.
Sunnies Face burst onto the beauty scene in 2018 and quickly gained popularity among makeup enthusiasts.
With their sleek packaging and high-performance formulas, Sunnies Face offers a selection of products designed to empower individuals to express their unique style.
The brand is best known for its Fluffmatte Lipsticks, which come in a range of flattering shades suitable for all skin tones.
Sunnies Face’s emphasis on accessibility, affordability, and trendsetting products has resonated with beauty lovers worldwide.
Colourette Cosmetics is a Filipino beauty brand that embraces individuality and self-expression.
Their wide range of products, including lip tints, blushes, and highlighters, are carefully formulated to complement various skin tones.
Colourette Cosmetics also prides itself on being vegan and cruelty-free, catering to consumers who value ethical beauty.
Colourette Cosmetics empowers individuals to experiment and have fun with their makeup routines.
3 Things Every Cosmetic Brand Can Learn From These Top Brands
Quality and Innovation
In a highly competitive industry like cosmetics, quality and innovation are crucial. High-quality products are the cornerstone of a successful beauty brand.
Consumers today are more knowledgeable and discerning than ever before, actively seeking products that deliver on their promises. By prioritizing quality, a brand can build trust, loyalty, and a positive reputation among its target audience.
Here are some key aspects of maintaining product quality:
a. Ingredient Selection. Just like how Happy Skin uses skin-friendly ingredients in their products, cosmetic brands in the Philippines should prioritize the use of premium, safe, and effective ingredients in their formulations. This requires thorough research, collaboration with experts, and rigorous testing to ensure that products deliver optimal results without compromising the health or well-being of consumers.
b. Manufacturing Standards. Maintaining stringent manufacturing standards is crucial to ensure consistent quality across product lines. Brands must adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and follow quality control protocols to guarantee the safety, stability, and efficacy of their products.
c. Performance and Results. Ultimately, the effectiveness of a product is what drives consumer satisfaction and loyalty. Beauty brands should invest in comprehensive testing and trials to ensure that their products deliver the promised benefits and meet or exceed customer expectations.
By continuously pushing boundaries and introducing novel concepts, ingredients, and technologies, brands can captivate consumers’ attention and establish themselves as trendsetters.
Here’s how brands can foster innovation:
a. Research and Development (R&D). Investing in robust R&D capabilities enables brands to explore new formulations, ingredients, and product categories. By staying informed about emerging trends, consumer preferences, and scientific advancements, brands can develop innovative products that address unmet needs in the market.
b. Collaboration and Partnerships. Collaborating with experts and hiring influencers can provide fresh perspectives and foster cross-pollination of ideas. Partnerships with research institutions, beauty influencers, or even other brands can lead to exciting collaborations and the creation of unique, groundbreaking products.
c. Product Differentiation. Innovation allows brands to differentiate themselves from their competitors. By introducing unique features, formulations, or packaging, brands can create a distinct identity that sets them apart in the minds of consumers. This differentiation helps attract new customers and cultivate brand loyalty among existing ones.
d. Sustainability and Ethical Practices. Brands that prioritize eco-friendly packaging, cruelty-free formulations, or support social causes can appeal to consumers who value ethical and sustainable choices.
Inclusivity and Diversity
Beauty comes in all shades, shapes, and sizes. It is essential for beauty brands to embrace inclusivity and diversity in their product offerings, marketing campaigns, and brand messaging.
Sunnies Face’s lipsticks come in a range of flattering shades suitable for all skin tones. Whether you’re morena or have fair skin, Sunnies Face has the right shade for you.
By catering to a wide range of skin tones, hair types, and beauty preferences, cosmetic brands in the Philippines can foster a sense of belonging and make consumers feel seen and represented.
Here’s a closer look at how brands can prioritize inclusivity and diversity:
- Beauty brands should invest in R&D to formulate products that cater to a wide spectrum of skin tones.
- Brands should feature a diverse range of models, influencers, and brand ambassadors in their marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Inclusivity also means ensuring that beauty products are accessible and affordable to a wide range of consumers. Brands can achieve this by offering a variety of price points and making their products available in different retail channels, both online and offline.
- To truly embrace diversity, brands can collaborate with influencers, content creators, and consumers themselves to develop products or limited-edition collections.
- By adopting inclusive language, avoiding discriminatory or exclusionary imagery, and promoting body positivity, brands can contribute to a more inclusive beauty culture and resonate with a broader audience.
- Beauty brands can also play a role in educating consumers about diverse beauty practices, addressing specific concerns for different skin types or tones, and providing resources for self-care and self-expression.
Authentic Brand Storytelling
Authentic brand storytelling is a powerful tool for beauty brands to connect with their customers on a deeper level.
It involves conveying a genuine and compelling brand narrative that resonates with consumers’ emotions, values, and aspirations.
Colourette Cosmetics tops this category with its story of individuality and self-expression and how they empower individuals to experiment and have fun with their makeup routines.
Here are some key elements to consider when crafting authentic brand storytelling:
- Have a clear purpose and set of values that guide its actions and decisions. Brands need to articulate why they exist beyond selling products, what they stand for, and how they aim to make a positive impact on individuals and society.
- Sharing the founder’s journey and the inspiration behind the brand humanizes the company and creates a relatable narrative. Brands can communicate the challenges, triumphs, and personal motivations that led to the creation of the company.
- In addition to the founder’s story, featuring real customer stories and testimonials can be a powerful way to demonstrate the brand’s impact on people’s lives. By highlighting the experiences, transformations, and positive outcomes that customers have achieved through using the brand’s products, brands can build credibility and trust.
- Brands should be open about their manufacturing processes, ingredient sourcing, and any relevant ethical practices. Sharing this information demonstrates a commitment to integrity and builds trust with consumers.
- Authentic brand storytelling is reinforced by maintaining a consistent brand voice and visual identity across all communication channels. The tone, language, and visuals should align with the brand’s values and resonate with the target audience.
- Create engaging social media posts that reflect the brand’s values and resonate with its audience. This includes sharing educational content, behind-the-scenes glimpses, collaborations, and user-generated content.
A successful cosmetic brand in the Philippines must go beyond just selling products and create a compelling brand story.
3 Tips for Aspiring Filipino Cosmetic Entrepreneurs
- Create high-quality products. This is the most critical factor in any beauty brand’s success. Filipino consumers are discerning and they expect high-quality products that are effective and safe to use.
- Offer affordable prices. The Philippines is a developing country and many Filipinos have limited disposable income. Beauty brands that offer affordable prices will be more accessible to a wider range of consumers.
Be innovative. The beauty industry is constantly evolving and beauty brands need to be innovative in order to beat the competition. This means developing new products, launching new marketing campaigns, and partnering with influencers.
The Filipino cosmetic industry has brought forth remarkable brands that have left an indelible mark in the beauty world. Brands like Happy Skin, Sunnies Face, and Colourette Cosmetics have demonstrated the power of quality, inclusivity, and authentic storytelling.
Every beauty brand, regardless of its origin, can learn from these successful brands by prioritizing these essential strategies. Beauty brands can carve their path to success in this ever-evolving industry by embracing innovation, celebrating diversity, and fostering authentic connections.
Prosperna, Your Partner to eCommerce Success
Prosperna is an all-in-one eCommerce platform for Philippine businesses and digital creators. We are on a mission to empower 1 million Filipinos with simple and affordable eCommerce solutions.
In fact, we are super passionate about helping Philippine businesses and digital creators we’re giving you a free account forever!
Want to start selling online? Create your free-forever Prosperna account now.