Celebrating the Chinese New Year is about abundance, prosperity, and longevity. No wonder this is one of the most awaited festivals here in the Philippines!
It is an opportunity for a small business to reach a vast market that associates the Chinese New Year holiday with new beginnings and finding great Chinese New Year shopping deals. Filipinos are on the lookout for what to buy for Chinese New Year. From festive meals to lucky Chinese New Year products.
Moreover, having an eCommerce store will significantly boost your opportunity to reach and sell to this vast market. Even with the pandemic, the eCommerce business in the Philippines has been rapidly growing. And it is expected to generate USD $20,182M this year. Imagine how
Online shopping grew by 325% in the country. What’s more, 67% of Filipino online consumers want to keep buying online post-pandemic restrictions. That said, as regulations are easing up and businesses are operating their brick-and-mortar stores, consumers can expect to transition to bricks-and-clicks shopping.
So what do all these mean for your small business? And how is this connected to Chinese New Year shopping? Read on to find out!
WHY HAVE AN ONLINE PRESENCE THIS CHINESE NEW YEAR?
Part of your strategy as an eCommerce business is to have an online presence in the Cyber Marketplace. Specifically, an online store and an online marketing channel.
There are three places where you can have your ONLINE STORE:
- Inside big online marketplace platforms like Shopee, Lazada, or Facebook Marketplace.
- Create an online storefront on social media channels like Facebook or Instagram.
- Build your eCommerce website through a website builder like WooCommerce, Shopify, and Prosperna.
|Read until the end to find out how you can create a FREE forever mini online store and start selling directly inside social platforms easily!|
Your online store is not enough to succeed in online business in the Philippines. You need to have an ONLINE MARKETING CHANNEL so you can:
- reach a wider audience
- connect real-time to WOW your market
- direct customers to your eCommerce store, 24/7
Bottom line, having an online presence is a VITAL ingredient to boost your eCommerce business this Chinese New Year holiday and beyond.
Don’t leave it all to luck! Let’s break down what you can do for your small business this Chinese New Year.
WHAT IS THE CHINESE NEW YEAR?
The Chinese New Year, or Lunar Year, is a traditional Asian festival celebrated based on the Chinese Lunar Calendar. This 2022, Chinese New Year starts on February 1. Celebrations last from January 31 to February 15.
The festival is supposed to be a time of renewal and rejuvenation. It also marks the transition of the Chinese Zodiac. From the 2021 Year of the Ox to the 2022 Year of the Tiger.
In China, the public holiday lasts for seven days. Most non-essential services, including banks, factories, and shops, will be closed for a week. The most significant theme for this festivity is family.
CELEBRATING CHINESE NEW YEAR IN THE PHILIPPINES
The Chinese New Year is also known as Tsinoys’ New Year in the Philippines. Filipinos of full or part-Chinese descent usually celebrate this festivity with food, parties, and gift-giving. The government has announced this day as a special non-working holiday.
Pre-pandemic, there are many public activities like the lion dance parade in Binondo, Philippines’ primary Chinatown and known as the oldest in the world. However, Metro Manila canceled public celebrations related to the Chinese New Year this year due to the recent spike in COVID cases.
People can still go to Binondo to eat at their favorite Chinese restaurants and their lunar new year shopping. Some Filipino favorite Chinese New Year products are tikoy, jade, and other Chinese New Year traditional gifts.
WHAT CAN CHINESE NEW YEAR BRING TO YOUR BUSINESS AND eCOMMERCE SHOP?
The Chinese New Year is a big deal in the Philippines. As one of the highly celebrated holidays in the country, businesses leverage it to see more sales. The pandemic doesn’t seem to make a dent in this. Why is that?
Here’s the deal: Filipinos love convenience. Is there anything more convenient than shopping with just a click or a tap of your fingertip?
Keep in mind that Filipinos LOVE a good deal. This Chinese New Year, give special new year shopping deals to your customers and see your business prosper!
(It goes without saying that your efforts should NOT stop with the end of this festive season.)
eCOMMERCE MARKETING IDEAS THAT SELL DURING CHINESE NEW YEAR
Before launching any eCommerce marketing campaigns, you need to get down to the basics to avoid wasting your effort and resources.
- Know your target market so you can speak your target market’s language.
- Make sure your inventory is accurate, and your delivery rates are correct.
- Plan and document your marketing campaigns, so all details are ironed out.
So what do you need for a prosperous Chinese New Year campaign?
Earn More, Bring In the Tiger
Capitalize on the luck of this year’s ruling Chinese Zodiac. Filipinos love themed collectibles. So why not add a few Tiger-themed items to your products or use these limited edition items as an incentive for shoppers to buy more from your eCommerce store?
- Add tiger elements to your marketing collaterals. If you have a Facebook Business Page, you can change your cover photo to fit the theme.
- Give a discount for those born in the Year of the Tiger, just like what Vikings did here.
- Since Tigers are in this year, market your tiger-themed products as one of the best gifts for Chinese New Year.
Bring Out the Red
Red symbolizes good luck, success, joy, celebration, passion, and energy. So get your hands on red items and use lots of red in your marketing campaigns to help you and your online shoppers get into the festive mood!
- Use plenty of red in all your marketing collaterals, such as social media posts, image photos, and email marketing.
- Put all your red products in a new collection, “Chinese New Year Gift Ideas”.
- If you’re selling items related to the Chinese New Year or Chinese culture, you can market these as “Chinese Business Gifts” or “Chinese New Year Traditional Gifts”.
Boost Engagement with Lucky Items
People love receiving and giving away red packets or ang pao for good luck. And people love cracking fortune cookies open to read the “fortunes” inside. This year, create your store’s online version of these items to boost social media engagement.
- Create a post on your social media channel inviting your audience to choose and crack a fortune cookie. Just like what Canva did here.
- If you already have an eCommerce website, why not surprise your website visitors with a luck ang pao? You can “put” a freebie item or discount voucher inside.
- Send a virtual ang pao to your email subscribers and give them an exclusive Chinese New Year shopping deal.
Get More User-Generated Content
Use hashtags to generate more buzz around your store. Aside from creating your engaging content, you can create a hashtag challenge or invite your audience to tag their fellow MSMEs for a chance to win a raffle prize.
- Create a “fill-in-the-blank” post and ask your audience to share their answers in the comment. Announce that the best answer will win a prize.
- Ask your audience to create a public post sharing their favorite Chinese dish. And then tag your business social for a chance to win.
- Make a fun game for your followers, like a Trivia Game asking them to identify different Chinese New Year gift traditions.
Give Chinese New Year Deals
Promote borderless giving and loyalty. Run a sale and come up with different price points and discounts. You can also offer free shipping or a buy-one-get-one (BOGO) promo. Think of a catchy name that is relevant to the Chinese New Year.
- Run a limited-time sale during the Chinese New Year festival or a fast-as-a-tiger sale during the festival’s last day.
- If you have an eCommerce store, you can give free shipping for those who order at least PHP 2,022-worth of items.
- Run themed sales each day of the 2-week Chinese New Year festival, just like Shopee did here.
|Learn the 5 marketing strategies that you can do for your eCommerce business next!|
WHAT DOES THE CHINESE NEW YEAR BRING PHILIPPINE MSMES?
The Chinese New Year is a great time to engage with your audience, increase customer loyalty, and get more sales. It’s also the ideal time to get your foot in the door and introduce yourself to new clients and prospects.
It’s an opportunity that you should not miss. So if your business does not have an online store yet – what are you waiting for?
Prosperna, an All-in-one eCommerce for Philippine Businesses, can help you set up an eCommerce website Philippines or have a social commerce platform.
Our mission is to empower 100,000 MSMEs in the Philippines with simple and affordable eCommerce software. We want ALL businesses to get started on their journey to the Cyber Marketplace in the fastest possible time, without breaking the bank.
We are super passionate about helping Philippine MSMEs – we’re giving you a free account FOREVER!
Want to start selling online? Create your free-forever Prosperna Online Store today!